Wednesday 11 January 2017

Introduction

I played a lot of golf as a junior during the 90s and it was very natural. At that time video was starting to make headway but launch monitors didn't exist.

Wind forward to 2016 and I started playing golf again, in part due to my interest in new technology. Paired with lessons I started practising regularly on a rented trackman which unlocked amazing insights into what is actually happening at impact, but it was a struggle to analyze the data because that doesnt get uploaded to the cloud for off-range analysis. I therefore had to take images of the results or get pdf extracts.

When I played as a junior everything was very instinctive and it was easy to see shots and then attempt to play them. Playing almost every day meant the database of shots in my head was current and fairly well practised (although in hindsight somewhat limited).

Resuming regular play quickly highlighted a lack of shot database in my head, so I needed a way of building this as quickly and efficiently as possible. Playing everday was not an option, but measuring and capturing more data is.

I spent some months considering my options, including testing a SkyCaddie SC200. I was impressed with its ball speed accuracy (and therefore carry), but it had a number of drawbacks:

  1. No capture of data for off-range analysis.
  2. Not enough data captured.
  3. I had a capture rate of approximately 80% with lofted clubs and only 30-40% with my driver.

I therefore revisited my options looking for something accurate and reliable, which would capture enough data to be interesting. Portability was also important because I currently do all of my practise at the range. Longer term I want to build a home-practise studio in limited space, so a photometric launch monitor seemed like the way to go.

Based on this it quickly became clear a Skytrak was the only option. GC2 seems like an impressive device, but it costs several times more and a Skytrak is demonstrably accurate.

I now have a Skytrak with 3 objectives:

  1. How much better can I get by measuring my practise rather than randomly hitting range balls? 
  2. How can I use Skytrak as a platform to learn more about what is happening at impact?
  3. Can I combine these to draw new insights?

I therefore thought I would document this journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.